Become a Better STEM Teacher in One Month
AstroSchool’s free program shows you how to use hands-on technology tools to improve your STEM curriculum.
The Spring 2022 Cohort Application is now closed. If you applied, keep a close eye on your e-mail to see if you were selected!
Sign up for our email list to stay updated and be the first to learn of new opportunities from DreamUp:
[themify_button link=”https://www.dreamup.org/subscribe/” target=”<strong>_blank</strong>” color=”#EF3582″ text=”#ffffff” style=”rect xlarge”]Sign Up for Our E-Mail List[/themify_button]
AstroSchool: Using Technology to Enhance Technology Education
For one month starting Monday, March 7, 2022, participating K12 teachers receive weekly lessons exploring new ways to improve their STEM teaching skills. This includes instruction from experienced STEM teachers, interaction with other educators, and exposure to some of the latest classroom technology.
Teachers who complete AstroSchool earn a certificate demonstrating their professional development.
How Does AstroSchool Benefit Educators?
Teachers who successfully complete AstroSchool gain the following:
- A better understanding of how new STEM education technology enhances classroom instruction, as well as practical instruction on implementing this technology
- Access to a virtual community of other educators to share ideas, stories, and support
- A Because Learning Sensor Kit plus one year of access to the Lessons platform, including over 150+ standards-based STEM lessons designed for the classroom
- A certificate of completion
What Are the Requirements for AstroSchool?
As the goal of this program is to spread awareness of new STEM teaching technologies, it’s crucial participants share their experiences. This includes giving feedback on AstroSchool course materials and helping provide input for case studies.
Additionally, participants should schedule at minimum of one to two hours per week to complete lessons over the course of the four week program. They are also encouraged to interact with other AstroSchool participants in an online community.
AstroSchool is free for all participants.
Can Multiple Teachers from the Same School Apply?
Yes – and in fact, it may be helpful if multiple teachers at the same school or district participate. Teachers at the same school can easily discuss what they’re learning during the AstroSchool training. This could help them better implement what they’re learning and improve STEM at their school.
(Of course, it is not required that multiple teachers per school apply.)
What’s in the AstroSchool Curriculum?
AstroSchool participants are exposed to numerous topics that directly improve their STEM teaching through technology, including:
Introduction to Coding and Arduino: Learn how basic coding and hardware (such as Arduinos) provide limitless ways to explore STEM concepts
STEM Lesson Development: Discover ways to bring STEM concepts into any subject through new technologies
Technology Integration: Explore methods of bringing the latest technology into your curriculum to achieve learning outcomes
How to Apply
As a recap, here’s what AstroSchool participants receive:
- A Because Learning Sensor Kit plus a year of access to 150+ Because Learning Lessons ($1000 retail value)
- Weekly training from AstroSchool
- Interaction with enthusiastic educators like you who want to improve their STEM teaching skills through technology
- A certificate of completion after completing AstroSchool
AstroSchool is available at no cost to educators thanks to the support of the Association of Space Explorers.
Here are some tips to craft a compelling application:
- Tell us how you’ll share your experience with peers! Our goal for AstroSchool is to spread awareness of how new technology improves STEM education. Teachers must be willing and able to share their experiences with other educators!
- If other teachers at your school are applying, mention them in your application.
- Consider how many students your participation could affect. The goal of AstroSchool is to impact as many students as possible. Are you involved with any activities outside your classroom, such as clubs or boards, that give you influence over a greater number of students?
The applications for AstroSchool Spring 2022 are now closed. Keep an eye on your e-mail to see if you were selected!
If you have any questions in the meantime, please don’t hesitate to reach out:
[themify_button link=”https://www.dreamup.org/contact/” target=”<strong>_blank</strong>” color=”#EF3582″ text=”#ffffff” style=”rect xlarge”]Contact Us[/themify_button]